ABOUT ALT TEX
ALT TEX is a seed stage biomaterials startup, on a mission to create the world’s most sustainable fabrics through our ALTernative TEXtile innovation. Through our proprietary biotechnology, we’re taking one of the world’s largest landfill contributors – food waste – and re-engineering it into biodegradable and carbon neutral fabrics with polyester-like performance.
Today, our small team has successfully created the food-to-fibre prototype, secured pilot agreements worth $1M and locked in over $1.7M in funding with the support of Canada’s top accelerators like Creative Destruction Lab and NEXT Canada. Now, we’re looking to grow our team of impact-driven innovators as we prepare to launch our fabric in 2022.
ABOUT OUR IMPACT
If you’re interested in joining our mission, you may already know that by 2050, the fashion industry is expected to account for a quarter of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. Leading this environmental footprint with over 7 million tons of annual landfill waste is polyester – a fabric that makes up 60% of the clothes we wear. Join us in leading the change with the next generation of highly sustainable and radically ethical textiles.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Bioprocess Research Intern will support the research team in the development and optimization of the food waste fermentation and polymer synthesis technology. The role will report to the Research Lead and will work closely with the research team to conduct literary and lab-based R&D. This role is designed for rapid growth in the company and can lead to a permanent position.
- Support the design and execution of bench-scale research experiments involving feedstock evaluation, fermentation optimization and polymerization of monomers
- Optimize bioreactor conditions, reagents and microorganisms to increase efficiency and yield of fermentation experiments - complete product performance and yield evaluations and implement continuous improvement practices
- Rapidly assess a variety of feedstocks through substrate compositional analyses (i.e. sugar composition) and improve feedstock pre-treatment methods
- Develop and execute analytical procedures for product and byproduct identification via assays and chromatography
- Support day-to-day research operations including material tracking/ordering and organizing lab activity and workplans
- You’re an impact and sustainability focused innovator who wants to use their talent for massively scalable change. You’re a risk taker, ready to immerse yourself in an incredibly fast-paced and dynamic team, in a position that offers rapid job growth opportunity. You’re an innovative thinker and want to bring bold ideas to the table where you can supercharge them to fruition.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (preferred) in related science field
- 1+ years in scientific research setting including experience in biosynthesis, fermentation, bioprocess scale-up, and melt extrusion
- Experience with operation and maintenance of bioreactors
- Experience with purification techniques (i.e. distillation, vacuum filtration, etc.)
- Experience with analytical methods (e.g. NMR, optical purity assays, chromatography such as HPLC, GC, etc.)
- Experience with polymerization of plastics
skills & attributes:
- Entrepreneurial: you’re highly independent with the ability to self-drive fast-paced projects with extreme resourcefulness and speed
- Innovative and analytical: you’re a big picture, out of the box thinker who is always questioning the norm and approaches problem solving with disruptive thinking
- Impact oriented: you’re out to change the world and your work means more to you than a 9-5
- Action oriented: you’re a leader and self-starter who makes things happen without the need for significant structure or delegation
Job title: Bioprocess Scientist
Terms: Internship/Co-op, full time
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying